Even though I’ve quit diet soda it doesn’t mean that I have any judgements on those that haven’t. I drank it for so long (see figure 1 below) that I had my share of people warning me and wagging their fingers at my bad habit. Let’s be real, we all know diet soda is bad for you! Its not really a secret. So, if you have found this page because you are looking to quit, are curious or merely feeling guilty and wanting to see what other’s have done, then welcome! Whatever stage of your diet coke relationship just know that its possible to have a successful break up if you want. I’m sharing what I did and hope that it helps those looking for a solution. Just for the heck of it I listed some additional adverse affects of drinking diet soda just in case there’s a few you haven’t heard. How cool would it be if in the future diet coke was only used to make explosions with mentos!?
Quitting Diet Soda. 6 Step Program.
1. Admit that diet soda is adversely affecting your health (see reasons below)
2. Make a commitment to stop drinking it completely and to never take another sip. (This step is important!)
3. Stop drinking diet soda
4. Stock up with replacement drinks that are aspartame free. Sparkling water naturally flavored with lemon or lime is great as well as Zevia (Zevia is sweetened with Stevia which is a natural sweetner). If necessary you may allow yourself to drink a little regular soda (like one bottle of mexican coke) to take the edge off in the beginning. I found this helpful since I don’t really like sugary drinks and am not in danger of overindulging. However, if you feel this will result in another addiction then steer clear.
5. Keep caffeine pills on hand for emergencies. I know this also sounds like a recipe for another addiction but hear me out. My hypothesis is that those that overdo it on diet soda aren’t the same people that overdo it on caffeine. Those are the energy drink/espresso drinkers. Diet soda people have more of a thing with eating and the caffeine addiction is a residual of that. Taking a little caffeine in pill form isn’t nearly as fun as drinking a diet soda and definitely not as delicious. So if you are putting off quitting diet soda because your concerned about your caffeine headaches then just take a little caffeine in pill form until you can wean yourself off. A diet soda has about 50 mg’s of caffeine. The pills I found are 200 mg’s so I just cut them in half and then in half again with a butter knife. Easy!
6. Congratulate yourself for your victory over diet soda and recommit daily to staying diet soda free!
Zevia (found at Whole Foods or online. Their cola flavor does have caffeine in it)
Sparkling Water (I get a box with 12 can’s naturally flavored with lemon & lime)
Caffeine Pills (You can find this in any drugstore and most grocery stores)
Diet Soda Fun Facts!
Metabolic Syndrome results in some pretty scary symptoms. This was the least scary picture I found but if you google “metabolic syndrome” you’ll get the idea. Not cute.
Aspartame converts to Menthanol in your system which then turns into formaldehyde. Yikes! The results of this are:
Symptoms from methanol poisoning are many, and include:
- Ear buzzing
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Memory lapses
- Numbness and shooting pains in the extremities
- Behavioral disturbances
The origins of aspartame are unfortunately just as suspect as aspartame itself. Here is a timeline of how and why aspartame was approved by the FDA. I hate to bag on the government as I know Washington is normally full of people with integrity (note sarcasm) but here are the FACTS.
Hope you enjoyed and please update me on your progess!